08 November 2005

Bloody technology

One is deeply pissed off. I have a really good 2400dpi scanner, which I've had for about 5 years, but it has a SCSI/ISA connection and runs with w95.

Recently, I discovered a handy little device which converts SCSI to USB, so I connected it up to my lovely super-fast wXP laptop. However, every time I try to run the software, it tells me that the drivers aren't installed. I've been to the website and downloaded the wXP drivers but it still doesn't like it. The Micro$oft scanner function will let me scan one pic, and only at 600dpi, and then packs up again.

I think I'll have to reconnect it to the dinosaur PC again. At least it worked, even if I do have to bugger about transferring the files to my other PC to get them smaller than 90mb :o(

2 comments:

TotalChaos said...

I'm not real sure about this, you seem to know a bunch more about computers than I do. But, I shall try, here. Do you have the USB plugged in, while you are booting the software? If so, it won't work, the USB port has to be unplugged at the Computer end. That has been my finding anyway. Also you shouldn't have to load the drivers for WinXP. My $.02

Womble said...

Yeah, I've tried it with the scanner booted first, and also with the lappie booted first, and it still doesn't work. Back to the dinosaur, methinks.