10 October 2005

Fish!

Wow! I managed to get one of the few remaining tickets. 5 minutes later, it was completely sold out.

I didn't catch much of the support act, a lass called Annemarie summat, superb voice but her last song didn't do anything for me. I think the bloke next to me had fallen in love with her cos he kept rabbiting on about her for ages.

The first half of Fish's set was good, music and a bit of chat. However, the second half was mind-blowing. During the first half, I was thinking "an all-seated gig just doesn't work" There's something not right about sitting down at a rock concert. When the second half started, everyone said "fuck that" and stood up anyway, and then proceeded to jump up and down like a bunch of nutters. The bloke at the side of me kept telling me that he knows a Marillion tribute band called Forgotten Sons who he thinks are better than Fish. Sorry buddy, but I loved Fish for 20 years and I have never heard of your tribute band, so stop spoiling my bloody gig! He took the hint when I turned my back on him.

I think Fish was pretty pleased with the response he got from the crowd, cos he had a huge grin on his face by the end of the night. I think it was the crowd participation in Market Square Heroes that clinched it. I bet we could be heard from the train station, it was that loud. The lead guitarist was bloody fantastic too, I could have spent the night just listening to him, and the backing vocalist has one hell of a voice too. Damn, I just loved the whole band.

If you're into prog, go and watch Fish, cos if you don't, you'll miss a bloody good show.

No comments: