12 June 2008

Tory MP to waste public money on unnecessary byelection

Tory MP, David Davis has announced that he is standing down as Member of Parliament for Haltemprice & Howden in order to make a stand over the issue of 42 day detention. However, he then plans to re-stand for the same position.

Whilst I admire his guts for standing up for his beliefs, I don't admire the waste of public money that will be spent on administering the by-election, and the cynic in me says that it's just one huge publicity stunt to get his name in the press.


The Liberal Democrats have indicated that they do not propose to waste their time and money putting a candidate against him, and it's unlikely that the Labour Party will field a candidate either.


It's all well and good to have principles when you know you're going to win.

4 comments:

Oz said...

...however, if it highlights the way in which we're sleepwalking into a surveillance state, then maybe some good will come of it.

Not only that, but it makes the Tories look like the complete shower they are. Mwahahahaha.

Oz said...

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/42604,opinion,why-i-am-standing-against-david-davis - I think he has a point.

Womble said...

Yep, I think he does too.

With regard to Mr. Davies's stance, I agree with him in that I, too, am sick of the way this country is becoming a surveillance state in the name of 'prevention of terrorism', when really it is just further paranoia and oppression.

Oz said...

Do you think we're getting old? I find myself sounding like a grumpy old man - nanny state blah blah, lack of discipline among youth blah blah, surveillance state blah blah, binge drinking blah blah. It wasn't like that when I was a lad blah blah.

Maybe we need to accept that we'll all be RFID chipped within 20 years and there'll be cameras in our bathrooms that'll record us being beaten by the drunken 12 year old burglars.