07 August 2006

a good reason to boycott Selfridges?

Apparently, in response to 'high demand from customers', Selfridges have decided to launch their Christmas range this week.

High demand? Yeah right, what a load of tosh. Well, I won't be going in there, that's for sure. I don't even celebrate Christmas, so why the hell should I have it rammed down my throat in the shops? It's August, for Pete's sake! Christmas is still 140 days away. That's 21 weeks. Almost 5 month.

Selfridges, you are pathetic if you think we believe your excuse for pushing this cynical marketing ploy upon us.

5 comments:

Spikey said...

BAH HUMBUG :o(

Bloody Christians, knicking all our Pagan idea's......

Cooldrums said...

so you both will be working on christmas day then?

Womble said...

I've done it before, and I'd happily do it again. So long as it wasn't my scheduled day off anyway.

Christmas stopped being 'special' for me when I was about 10 and realised it was all a big con.

It's just another day off where people have to put up with boring relatives and being nice to people they hate. And then there's the weeks of having the 'Carol of the Drum' sung by tone-deaf infants rammed in your ear'oles in every naff shop in town.

Many of my friends, both Christian and not, resent having it imposed on them. Those who are Christian, say it is an insult to Christ. Those who aren't say that it is just plain irritating.

Oz said...

I like Christmas. Let me clarify: I like the few days either side of Christmas with its crisp air, sparkling lights and relentless, repetitious, jolly music.

I hate shopping. I hate the rampant march of consumerism telling me that I must "buy, buy, buy and do it now!" and having it shoved down my throat like an oily chain cleaning cloth when I'm still feeling beads of sweat running down my inner thigh from the summer heat.

Cooldrums said...

4 pay days to christmas :-)